Click to Call
Griffin Insurance Agency

135 Gasoline Alley
Mooresville, NC 28117

Get Directions

Flood Insurance in North Carolina

Do You Need Flood Insurance in North Carolina?

Flood insurance isn’t required by law in the state, but if your home is in an area that FEMA has determined to be at high risk of flooding, then you may need to have it if the federal government backs your mortgage. Homes that are in flood zones that begin with “V” or “A” have a 1% chance or higher of flooding in a year and, to get a mortgage, these homeowners will need flood insurance. These homes usually are near lower elevations and located near sea level and bodies of water, and that is why they are at a higher risk of flooding.

Even if it is not required, there are many benefits to having flood insurance. It’s important to note that homeowner’s insurance does not cover any flood-related damage and just a few inches of water can cause damage in the home, which can cost homeowners thousands of dollars. An agent at Griffin Insurance Agency can help determine your risk and work with you on a policy. The state is also prone to many flood-related disasters, including heavy rains and hurricanes. Floodwaters can even come out of storm drains, and you don’t need to be near water for your home to flood.

What Does Flood Insurance Cover in North Carolina?

Flood insurance will cover a maximum of $250,000 for your home structure and $100,000 for your belongings. The structure limit will cover the cost to rebuild the home and is going to be different from the resale value of your home. Under the structure coverage, the home's walls, windows, doors and roof, home systems, built-in appliances, permanent flooring, and detached garages are covered. Under the contents portion, furniture, electronics, clothing, curtains, and other valuables within limits are covered. Some areas are not covered, which include trees, plants, landscaping, pools, hot tubs, decks, and fences. Flood insurance won’t cover any loss of income or additional living expenses.

Contact Griffin Insurance Agency to get a quote on flood insurance.

Partner Carriers

  • CHUBB Insurance
  • Donegal Insurance Group
  • FCCI
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance
  • National General Insurance
  • Nationwide Insurance
  • Progressive Insurance
  • State Auto Insurance
  • Travelers Insurance
  • Utica National Insurance Group
  • Westfield Insurance