What doesn’t my home insurance cover

When it comes to home insurance, you probably think that it covers everything that could happen to your home. Home policies have things called exclusions, things that are not covered by the policy. Very few people take the time to read the small print on their policy. If you live in the Mooresville, NC area, you can call on the agents at Griffin Insurance Agency to help you to understand that things that your home policy doesn’t cover. 


One of the biggest dangers to your home is flooding and there is a very good chance that it is not covered on your home policy. If you live in an area where flooding is a danger, you need to purchase a separate policy to cover your home and possessions. The National Flood Insurance Program is administered through local agents. 


Earthquakes, sinkholes, and land/mudslides are also not covered in your traditional home insurance policy. You should talk to your insurance agent about getting this additional coverage if you live in an area that is prone to this sort of event. 


Termites can cause a lot of damage to your home.  Termite damage is not covered with most home insurance policies. It is excluded as being neglect since it is the homeowner’s responsibility to make sure they maintain their home and that maintenance should include termite checks. 


It is the homeowner’s responsibility to maintain their home. If you get water damage from a roof that needs to be replaced you won’t be covered. 

Expensive items

If you have high-end electronics or jewelry, you won’t be covered for the value of your items unless you add additional coverage. 

Discussing the things that aren’t covered on your home policy with the knowledgeable agents at Griffin Insurance Agency in Mooresville, NC can set your mind at rest. Stop by our office or give us a call, we will be happy to help.